What to Do at the Darby Field Inn:
You're here on vacation and we know you want to explore the surrounding area, but you're on vacation: don't forget to take extra time to appreciate the little things! Spend a morning or afternoon at the inn just relaxing with that special someone...you won't regret it! Here are some of our favorites activities, depending on the season:
- Explore the more than 10 miles of trails in our back yard on snowshoe or x-c skis. Try our Snowshoe Package: We provide equipment, trail map, beginner instruction and hot beverage on return!
- Curl up in the living room, fireside, with a good book, or play one of our board games.
- Play cribbage in the tavern by the wood stove.
- Swing in the hammock.
- Try local brews in the tavern.
- Catch a sunrise or sunset from the patio.
- Schedule a massage for one OR two!
- Spend some time by the pool.
- Relax in our outdoor seating by the gardens and watch the hummingbirds, ID flowers, or read a good book.
- Dinner for two!
- Walk up - and down, Chase Hill Rd for exercise during mud season.
What to Do in the White Mountains:
The eastern White Mountain region of New Hampshire is a four season destination known for the highest peak in the Northeast, Mt. Washington at 6,288 feet, and the 780,000+ acre White Mountain National Forest.
The Mt. Washington Valley area is made up of several quaint New England villages, each with white church steeples, covered bridges, scenic views, and unique shops and galleries. You'll also find nearly endless recreational opportunities, making this an outdoor lovers paradise!
Spring & Summer Activities:
- Visit a Sugar House and watch local maple syrup being made
- Fly fish a variety of rivers, streams, and lakes
- Golf over 100 holes at 8 area courses all within a short drive from the Inn
- Bicycle hundreds of miles of roads or trails - check out the Bed, Breakfast, and Biking website for off the beaten path inns near cycling routes and hiking trails.
- Explore our rivers and lakes by kayak or canoe
- Learn to climb to new heights at some world class locations in our area with one of the country's oldest climbing schools
- Ride to the sky on the Mt. Washington Auto Road or Cog Railroad
- Horseback Ride (Farm by the River or Attitash) along riverside or mountain trails
- Attend a Summer Theater performance at one of several area theaters (The Barnstormers in Tamworth, or Eastern Slope Playhouse in North Conway), or a concert at Stone Mountain Arts Center
- The highlight of fall is nature's own breathtaking display of color to enjoy on a scenic drive, by gondola or chairlift, or hiking one of many mountain trails. Fall is also Fair time. Plan to attend The Fryeburg Fair (first two weekends in October) or Sandwich Fair (Columbus Day Weekend) while visiting! Area attractions are all open through Columbus Day weekend.
- Cross Country Ski or Snowshoe over 450 KM of trails
- Downhill Ski or Ride over 350 trails and glades
- Ride a Mountain Coaster or Snow Tube at local ski areas
- Travel over 6000 miles of groomed Snowmobile trails for some of the best riding in New England
- Ice Skate indoors (Hamm Ice Arena) or on an outdoor rink (North Conway Village)
- Try your skills at Ice Climbing
- Continue your workout routine at one of the area Fitness Centers.